Answered By: Rianne MacArthur Last Updated: 18 Aug 2017
You can use MyBeckett discussion boards, forums and threads to discuss topics or engage with group tasks within your module. Some discussion boards may be used as part of an assessment, so you may be marked on your contributions.
Discussion Board: Your overall area for discussions. You may encounter two types of Discussion Boards - Course Discussion Boards and Group Discussion Boards.
Forum: Your top-level discussion topic. ONLY lecturers / tutors can create a forum
Thread: The next level down from forums. When your tutor creates a forum, they may give you the ability to create your own threads or choose to create them themselves.
Comment: These are replies to threads, and can be made by anyone on the course.
Use a discussion board
- In your MyBeckett module, click the Discussions link from the navigation menu on the left. Note, your tutor/course leader/administrator may have renamed this e.g. Forum.
- Click the forum name.
- You can Create, Subscribe to, Search or Display (view) threads of the discussion. If the instructor hasn't allowed you to create threads, this option won't appear.
- Click the name of a thread to access and comment on it. You can also edit the structure of forum threads with Edit Paging.
- Mark and Flag posts using the Thread Actions or collect all responses / comments for print using Collect.
- Click the name of the thread if you want to view / comment / edit it.
- Click a thread topic to open an editing screen
- To reply to a comment or discussion topic, click Reply, type a comment and / or attach a file, then click Submit.
- You can quote authors if you want to respond to a particular topic or section of their comment/ thread. Click Quote, add in your own comments, then click Submit.
- You can email the author of the comment by clicking Email Author. For example, to ask them to remove a comment or to ask them a question.
Subscribe to a forum
- Select a forum and click the Subscribe button.
- A confirmation message appears.
- An email is sent to your student email address confirming your subscription. When posts are added by tutors or students you'll receive an email from Blackboard Administrator.
- To unsubscribe, go back to where you clicked Subscribe. There's now an Unsubscribe button in its place. Click it to be removed from the mailing list.