Answered By: Rianne MacArthur Last Updated: 07 Sep 2017
After you graduate, you'll permanently lose access to your student email account and emails (unless you've been forwarding copies to another account.)
Please transfer your student emails to an alternative Microsoft based account as soon as possible. You can't get them back once you've left.
The simplest method is via an Outlook or Hotmail email account. If you don't have one, please create one. If you do have one, ignore steps 1-3 and go straight to step 4.
- Create an outlook.com account, via the Microsoft account creation page.
- Click Get a new email address.
- Ensure it's an Outlook or Hotmail address. The process doesn't work with other accounts.
- When you've created an outlook.com / hotmail.com account, log in to it.
- At the top right of the screen, click the cog then click Options.
- Under the left headings click Accounts, then Connected Accounts.
- Under 'Add a connected account' click Gmail, then OK.
- Type the username of your student Gmail account e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org, then enter your password and click Accept.
- You're advised the import process has started. Ignore the option Want to receive new emails that arrive in. Your student email account is permanently closed after you've graduated, so there's no point getting new emails.
- Click Close.
- An indicator at the top of the screen shows the import progress.
- When the process finishes (it takes at least an hour - you can log out while you wait) your student email appears on the left under Categories. Select it and choose View: All at the top of your emails.
- Use the search function (top left) or the controls at the bottom of the page to navigate if needed.