How do I instant message (IM) someone using Skype for Business?
- Open the Skype for Business app; this can be on your computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Click on the Contacts menu - this is probably already showing.
- Click in the Find someone or a room search bar and type the name of the person you wish to IM. You can right click on their name to create personal groups of people you regularly contact.
- Check the presence of the person you wish to IM. IMs only appear on the screen for a short length of time, if they are away from their desk or busy it might be better to send an email.
- Available - this means the person is likely to be at their desk and is probably available to IM.
- Be Right Back - this means the person has probably gone away from their desk and isn't available.
- Busy - this means the person may be unable to IM, they may be in a meeting or teaching.
- Do Not Disturb - this means the person is using their PC and can't accept your IM, they are probably presenting.
- Hover the mouse pointer over the user photo/icon you wish to IM and select the IM icon.
- The IM window will open, and you can send your message.
- You can invite other people into a group chat at any time by clicking on the Invite More People icon in the top right-hand corner of the window.
- During an IM you can share many things including your screen, a PowerPoint presentation and or files as well as working together collaboratively with Office files (saved on OneDrive), an online WhiteBoard and a OneNote notebook.
Once you have finished an IM it will be saved in your conversation history. This can be found by clicking the clock icon in the Skype for Business app or in the conversation history folder in Outlook.