Student tips for online exams
Things to do before your online exam
- Revise! If available, take practice exams.
- Make sure you know important details about your online exam, including:
- Start and end times
Tip: it is a good idea to add the exam to your calendar and set a reminder.
- Read any information provided by your course team about your online exam. If there is anything you don’t understand, ask!
- Check if you need to prepare any materials or equipment for the exam. For some exams, this might include a microphone and webcam, but your course team will let you know if this is required.
- Check your device and make sure you have a stable internet connection.
- Find a good place to sit the exam, where you can be free from as many distractions as possible.
Things to do on the day of your online exam
- Gather everything you need for the online exam.
- Remind yourself of the exam instructions and information provided by your course team. Read this thoroughly.
- Check and note arrangements for support during the exam.
- Reduce the risk of unexpected interruptions.
- If you live with other people, let them know you will taking an online exam.
- Switch off mobile devices / notifications.
Things to do during your online exam
- Keep track of time during the exam, most systems have an on screen timer.
- Read each question more than once, make sure you understand what is being asked.
- Look at the number of marks allocated for each question and answer accordingly.
- Most online exams allow you to go back to the question so if you don’t immediately know the answer you can go back to it. The instructions at the start of the exam will let you know if you can do this.
- Keep support contact details to hand so you can get help if you experience any technical issues.
- Check your answers. Don’t click submit until you are ready, you can’t go back once you have selected submit.