How do I use a MyBeckett discussion board?
You can use MyBeckett discussion boards, forums and threads to discuss topics or engage with group tasks within your module. Some discussion boards may be used as part of an assessment, so you may be marked on your contributions.
Discussion Board: Your overall area for discussions. You may encounter two types of Discussion Boards - Course Discussion Boards and Group Discussion Boards.
Forum: Your top-level discussion topic. ONLY lecturers / tutors can create a forum
Thread: The next level down from forums. When your tutor creates a forum, they may give you the ability to create your own threads or choose to create them themselves.
Comment: These are replies to threads, and can be made by anyone on the course.
Subscribe: Receive an email every time someone posts in the discussion so you never miss out on the conversations.
How to use a discussion board
In your MyBeckett module, click the Discussions link from the navigation menu on the left.
- The link maybe within the content area or renamed (e.g. Forum).
- Take note of the 'pinned note icon' to help you identify a discussion (see image below, square red box)
- Click the forum name to read and reply or create a new thread.(see image below, red oval box)
Create a new thread and replying to a post.
- You can create a new related topic for discussion by clicking on Create Thread within a Forum (Note: If the instructor hasn't allowed you to create threads, this option won't appear).
- Fill in the subject title and write about your topic / subject that you want to discuss.
- To post: Click the name of a thread to access and comment on it.
- To reply to a comment or discussion topic, click Reply, type a comment and / or attach a file, then click Submit.
- You can quote authors if you want to respond to a particular topic or section of their comment/ thread. Hover the mouse cursor next to Reply then click Quote, add in your own comments, then click Submit.
- You can email the author of the comment by hovering the mouse cursor next to Reply and clicking Email Author. For example, to ask them to remove a comment or to ask them a question directly.
Subscribe to a forum
- Select a forum and click the Subscribe button.
- A confirmation message appears.
- An email is sent to your student email address confirming your subscription. When posts are added by tutors or students you'll receive an email from Blackboard Administrator.
- To unsubscribe, go back to where you clicked Subscribe. There's now an Unsubscribe button in its place. Click it to be removed from the mailing list.