How do I make a call using Skype for Business?
- Open the Skype for Business app; this can be on your computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Click on the Contacts menu - this is probably already showing.
- Click in the Find someone or a room, or dial a number search bar and type the name of the person you wish to call. You can right click on their name to create personal groups of people you regularly contact.
- Check the presence of the person you wish to call and only call if they can accept your call.
- Available - this means the person is likely to be at their desk and available to speak to you.
- Be Right Back - this means the person has probably gone away from their desk and isn't available to speak to you.
- Busy - this means the person is unable to speak to you, they may be in a meeting or teaching.
- Do Not Disturb - this means the person is using their PC and can't be called, they are probably presenting.
- Hover the mouse pointer over the user photo/icon you wish to call and select the phone icon.
- The person you are calling will either answer or, if they are unable to answer, your call may go to voicemail so that you can leave a message.
- You can invite other people into the call at any time by clicking on the Invite More People icon in the top right-hand corner of the window. You can also check who is in the call by clicking the Open Participation Pane icon in the top left-hand corner of the window.
- During a call you can share many things including your screen, a PowerPoint presentation and files as well as working together collaboratively with Office files (saved on OneDrive), an online WhiteBoard and a OneNote notebook.
[Ask Us Home button]
- Academic Skills (52)
- Academic Support (10)
- Assignments (40)
- Borrowing (46)
- Disability (98)
- Electronic Resources (83)
- IT Support (216)
- Library Spaces (1)
- MyBeckett (66)
- Online Meetings (8)
- Open Access (1)
- PebblePad (34)
- Research Management (1)
- Research Services (1)
- Skills for Learning (3)
- Software (79)
- University Information (14)