How do I control which apps load and run when Windows starts?
- Click the Start / Windows icon in the bottom left corner.
- Click the Settings cog wheel.
- In the Settings window, type Startup in the box.
- Choose Startup Apps.
- This will display a list of Startup Apps, which are programs / apps that will load and run every time Windows starts up. Each one has a switch to turn them on and off. To change the switch to on or off, click the left or right side of the switch.
- Scroll down to find the app you want to add or remove from Startup. Click the switch to off and close the window. The change will take place the next time you restart your PC or laptop.
You can also shut down an app or process whilst you are working, without restarting your PC or laptop. This will only stop the app for now. Next time you restart it will be back to normal. This can be useful if you have an app that is causing your device to freeze.
These processes can be apps (like Word or Skype) or background processes that keep your device running without you knowing they are there (like antivirus protection). Please be aware that some of these processes are essential for Windows to work properly, so only use this method if you have clearly identified a problem app.
- Right-click on the task bar at the bottom of the screen and click Task Manager (or press Ctrl Alt Delete if you prefer keyboard shortcuts).
- The Task Manager window will open. You can click More details / Fewer details to toggle between an expanded or condensed list of apps and processes.
- Scroll down the list to find the app that is causing trouble.
- Right-click on the app and click End Task.
- You may see a warning when you do this, especially if you are ending a security app.