How do I delete an email rule in Outlook?
Why might you need to delete an email rule?
- If you have opened a phishing email, we recommend checking your email rules in Outlook and deleting any that you have not set up. Please also ensure that you change your password.
Further information on phishing can be found here - I think I have received a phishing email
- If you no longer need an email rule you have previously created.
Deleting an email rule in Outlook using a web browser
- Click on the settings icon in the top right hand corner.
- In the Settings search box type Inbox Rules and then select Inbox Rules from the option below.
- In the Rules window you can see all the rules that have been created for your email account.
To delete a rule click on the trash can icon on the right hand side of the rule.
Deleting an email rule in Outlook
- Click File in the top left corner of the screen
- Click Manage Rules & Alerts icon
- In the Rules and Alerts window, click to highlight the rules you want to delete.
Clicking the Delete icon within this window will permanently remove the rule.
This works for the following versions of Outlook: Microsoft 365, Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013.