How do I search the Library catalogue?
Basic Search is the initial screen you see when you log in to the Library Catalogue, or you can reach it at any time by clicking the Start/Search link at the top of each page.
Using Basic Search you can quickly search for items using one of the following options from the drop down menu:
• Words or phrase
• Journal title
If you wish to search for an item using both the title and author, or if you have more complex combinations of search terms, use Advanced Search (click on the link on the right of the screen).
How to use Basic Search
1) Enter the words or phrase you wish to search for.
2) Select words or phrase from the drop down menu then click on the Search button.
This type of search finds items which have all the words you entered, in any order.
Looking up an Author
1) Enter the name you wish to search for.
2) Select search type Browse and select Author from the drop down menu and then click on the Search button.
If you search for words or phrases, be careful of the “any order” rule. For example, if you search for Augustus John you would find items by:
• John Augustus
• Augustus John
• and John Augustus Jones.
Looking up a Subject
1) Enter any words that you associate with your topic.
2) Select search type Browse and select Subject from the drop down menu and then click on the Search button.
Looking up a Title, Series or Journal title
A title search will search all items in the Library Catalogue - books, journals, audio visual items, etc.
To do a limited title search, select Journal Title or Series:
1) Enter the first few of words of the title.
2) Select Journal title or Series from the drop down menu, click on Browse and then click on the Search button.
3) Click on the journal title or series title to see the search results or the full item details.
Looking up an ISBN
ISBN stands for International Standard Book Number and is a 10 or 13-digit number that uniquely identifies a book.
1) Enter all 10 or 13 digits of the ISBN, without spaces or punctuation.
2) Select words or phrase from the drop down menu and then click on the Search button.
3) If the item is not held by the Library you will see a message that says “words or phrase "0123456789" found no matches in any library”.