How do I use the Olympus DM-770 Digital Voice Recorder?
Olympus DM 770 Digital Voice Recorders are available to borrow from the Media Equipment and Staff IT Service Desk on the ground floor of the Library.
The DM-770 is an audio recorder that can be used to record lectures, seminars, practical sessions and your own work and ideas. Recordings can be uploaded to a computer as mp3 files.
Turn on and off
On the left-hand side of the recorder, press the power slider down to turn on the device.
The recorder has an average battery life of 52 hours. It can be charged using the cable or simply by inserting the device’s USB into a USB port. It is recommended that the battery is run down completely before recharging it.
The voice guide is an audible means of navigating the device. It will tell you out loud each button you select.
- Press Menu.
- Use + and Fast Forward to select Voice Guide then press OK.
- Press OK to select On/Off.
- Use + and - to choose ‘Off’ or ‘On’.
- To save the voice guide setting press OK.
Setting the date and time
- Press Menu.
- Use + and Fast Forward to select the Time & Date then press OK to select.
- Use +, –, Fast Forward and Rewind to change the date and time.
- To save the date and time press OK.
The device can be set to the appropriate recording environment to achieve the best sound quality.
Setting the recording scene
- Press Menu.
- Use + and Fast Forward to navigate to select Rec scene then press OK.
- Use + and - to scroll through the different environments, e.g ‘Lecture’.
- Press OK to select an environment.
N.B It is recommended that the device is set to ‘AUTO’ as this will ensure that it adjusts the recording quality automatically.
This feature enables you to filter out background noise when recording.
- Press Menu.
- Use + and Fast Forward to select Noise Cancel.
- Press OK to select.
- Select High or Low using the - button.
- Press OK to save the setting.
You need to save your recordings in folders so that you can easily find and save them.
- From the recording screen, press F1 (Folder) until the required folder is displayed at the top of the screen. E.g. ‘A’.
- Press Record to start recording.
- To pause a recording, press Record.
N.B the pause function is a very useful tool which enables you to pause the recording when there is an interruption or something which you do not need to record. It means you will not have to fast forward or listen through audio again that you do not need.
- To continue a recording, press Record again.
- To stop your recording, press Stop.
These are like bookmarks that you can put into your recording whilst you are listening. This will create a brief break in the recording which you can use to select what you want to listen to again. For example, you could insert an index mark each time a PowerPoint slide is changed. This means you will not have to listen to the whole recording again to find specific parts of the recording.
- To add an index mark during a recording, press the F2 (INDEX) button.
- Repeat this process as required.
Playing back recordings
- To quickly preview a recording, press OK/Play.
- To stop audio playback, press Stop.
Each recording is automatically saved with a file number. For example, your first recording in Folder A will be saved as 01/01.
- To a select a saved recording, press F1/Folder in the recording screen.
- The current selected folder will be displayed at the top of the screen.
- Press Fast Forward or Rewind to scroll through the recordings until you reach your required recording. The number of the recording will be displayed at the top of the screen. E.g. A 01/01.
- To listen to your selected recording, press OK/Play.
- To pause, press Stop.
- To continue, press Play.
Using index marks in saved recordings
- During playback, press Fast Forward to navigate to an index mark.
- To navigate back to a previous index mark, press Rewind.
You can add new index marks to saved recordings during playback.
- To add an index mark, simply press F2/INDEX as required.
Changing the playback volume and speed
- To increase/decrease the playback volume press + or -.
- To slow down the playback speed press Play.
- To increase the playback speed, press Play again.
- To return the playback speed to normal, press Play again.
- To stop playback, press Stop.
- From the Recording screen, press F1/FOLDER until the folder you require is displayed at the top of the screen.
- Press Fast Forward or Rewind until you reach your required recording. Recordings are filed as numbers. E.g 01/02.
- To delete the selected recording, press Erase.
- From the Erase menu, press + to highlight One File and press OK.
- Press + to highlight Start and then press OK to delete the recording.
Saving recordings to a computer
- Connect the DM 770 to a computer using its USB cable.
- Select and open the device.
- Save and name the recording in a folder of your choice.