What are the file type/size requirements for Turnitin assignments?
For a successful Turnitin submission, please ensure you read the file type / size requirements. If there are issues, please get in touch with your tutor/get support from the Library & Student IT Advice team or Check our Turnitin error message FAQ.
Follow these steps for a trouble free experience:
- Use Google Chrome web browser when submitting assignments.
- We recommend that you save your Word & PowerPoint documents as a PDF file before submitting it to Turnitin. (To save a Microsoft Word/PowerPoint file as a PDF, choose File >Export>select Create PDF/ XPS button). Word documents do normally work well with Turnitin but if you are having issues changing the file type to PDF often resolves this. (Note: Please don't scan a document to a PDF file as Turnitin identifies these as an image file type rather than text).
- All submissions to Turnitin must contain at least 20 words that are not part of an image.
Turnitin accepts the following file types for upload into an assignment (but we recommend using PDF if any issues occur)
- Adobe (.PDF)
- Microsoft Word (.doc and .docx)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx, .ppsx, .pps) please read about what to bear in mind in this FAQ if you are submitting a PowerPoint file
- Microsoft Excel (.xls and .xlsx)
- HTML Adobe PostScript (.ps)
- Plain text (.txt) (do not exceed 2MB)
- Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- Open Office Text (.odt)
- WordPerfect (.wpd)
- Hangul Word Processor File (.hwp)
- Apple Pages is not an acceptable file type for Turnitin submissions. Please save your Pages document as a PDF or Word document.
- Submitted documents cannot exceed 100MB, if it does you will receive an error message stating that your file size 'exceeds the configured maximum'
- The larger the file, the longer it will take to submit, so please leave enough time prior to the deadline. Please do not leave a large file submission to the last minute!
- Although the limit is 100MB we recommend keeping your file under 50MB, to ensure the submission is successful.
- A large (over 50MB) file will need some time to be processed in Turnitin, so will not be instantly viewable via Turnitin's Feedback Studio software.
- Submitting in MS Word and want to reduce file size? see this FAQ
- Assignment submission titles, i.e. the bit that you fill in on screen when you make a submission, must be between 4 and 200 characters.
- Submitted files must contain at least 20 words and must be less than 800 pages in length.