How do I record presentations with Panopto for a video assignment?
If you have been asked to record a presentation using Panopto for an assignment, you can install the Panopto Recorder or use the web browser to record or upload, (which is a basic version) this is called Panopto Capture.
Please note: you do not need to install the Panopto recorder to watch recordings.
Option 1. Download and install the Panopto recorder
- Go to Panopto (web address is - https://leedsbeckettreplay.cloud.panopto.eu) and Sign in with MyBeckett and your student ID and password
- At the top right of the Panopto home page, click Download Panopto
- Click Download Panopto again when prompted
- A panoptorecorder.exe file will be downloaded (check your download folder if not visible on your device). Open this file to install it.
Record a presentation using the Panopto recorder
- Open the Panopto recorder that you have downloaded and installed on your computer / laptop
- Sign in with your University account
- Click Open Panopto Recorder
- Under Session Settings:
- Folder: Your tutor should have set up an Assignment Folder for you to upload into
- Name: Type the name of your presentation
- Under Primary Sources:
- Video: This is where you can select your webcam
- Audio: This is where you can select your microphone
- Quality: You can select a quality setting from the drop-down list
- Capture Computer Audio: You can tick this if you want the recording to include system audio
- Under Secondary Sources:
- You can tick to include PowerPoint slides or capture your main screen. If you are recording the main screen, make sure to close any apps that might interrupt your recording with pop-up notifications
- When you are ready, click the Record button at the top left
- You can Pause or Stop the recording using the buttons at the top left.
Option 2: Panopto Capture - web capture (no installation required)
Panopto Capture is a basic recording function that opens in a tab in your browser (it is compatible with most web browsers: Chrome, Edge, Firefox etc).
There is also an option to 'upload media' that you have pre-recorded and then continue to add and record audio to create a presentation with Panopto Capture.
The following steps show you how to access Panopto Capture to complete your assignment:
- Log in to Panopto (web address is - https://leedsbeckettreplay.cloud.panopto.eu) using your student ID and password
- Click on the Create button, and a drop down menu will appear
- Choose Panopto Capture from the list
- The three icons across the top of the screen are Audio, Video and Screen share. (See the image below for an example of this screen)
- First, set up your Audio (we recommend you use headphones for clearer recordings)
- Video allows you to record yourself as a presenter
- Screen and Apps allow you to screen share using your preferred method. This allows you to present a PowerPoint slide or webpage or application. Ensure to check 'Share audio' (bottom left of this pop-up) if you have created a PowerPoint with audio and you want the recording to play it too
- Now select a tab, window or app to share; there is a preview of all of the items you have open on your computer. It may be best to only have the items you need open while you are working on your recording to simplify it. Once selected the Share icon will light up
- When you are ready to record press the big red circle in the centre. A five-second countdown timer will indicate before the recording begins. The light will flash when recording in your browser's tab. You can edit your recording later to remove any mistakes when reviewing your recorder.
Where is my recording?
You will receive an automated email when your recording is available to view; follow the link in the email to access it.
To Submit your recording to a Blackboard Assignment follow this student Blackboard Assignment guide
[Ask Us Home button]
- Academic Skills (59)
- Academic Support (15)
- Assignments (50)
- Borrowing (36)
- Collaborate Ultra (1)
- Disability (111)
- Discover (41)
- E-Resources (95)
- IT Support (191)
- Journals & E-Resources (9)
- Library Spaces (5)
- MyBeckett (67)
- Online Meetings (6)
- Open Access (1)
- PebblePad (37)
- Research Management (1)
- Research Services (2)
- SEAts (17)
- Skills for Learning (10)
- Software (61)